Yup, there are several law entrance exams in India other than CLAT. CLAT is the most well-known and widely accepted entrance exam for admission to National Law Universities (NLU) in India. However there are other National and State level entrance tests. that are conducted by specific universities or institutions for their respective law programs. There are many reputed colleges that offer their Law programs based on several other Law Entrance tests. CLAT is infamous for being the most difficult. If a student does not get through the top 6-7 NLUs, it is advised that they appear for other law entrance tests. Here are some notable law entrance exams apart from CLAT:
The Common Universities Entrance Test (CUET) is an all-India test organised by National Testing Agency for admission to various Undergraduate, Integrated, Postgraduate Courses in the Central Government controlled Universities. It is also accepted by various State Universities in India.This also covers law courses such as BA LLB, BBA LLB, and BCom LLB. Notable institutions that accept CUET scores include Banaras Hindu University (BHU),, University of Allahabad, Aligarh Muslim University, and Delhi University. The CUET BA LLB 2024 exam will be based on the Class 12th syllabus.
Here are some of the key points regarding CUET:-
- CUET is a national-level exam for admission to undergraduate law courses.
- Notable institutions that accept CUET scores include BHU, BBAU, UoA, AMU, and DU.
- This exam will be based on the Class 12th syllabus.
- CUET is the most popular entrance exam for law schools in India.
All India Law Entrance Test (AILET): AILET is conducted by the National Law University, Delhi, specifically for admission to its undergraduate (BA LLB) and postgraduate i.e LLM & Ph.D. law programs. AILET is considered one of the prestigious law entrance exams in the country.There are three sections in AILET: English Language, Logical Reasoning and Current Affairs & General Knowledge. The total exam duration is 90 minutes and the candidates will get 150 questions (AILET ug courses) in total to solve. Considering last year's analysis, the overall difficulty level of the AILET usually remains moderate, but the competition level of this exam is a little high.
As per the AILET 2024 Educational Details, the below-mentioned criteria are acceptable. Candidates can apply for AILET after 10+2, and graduation as per the specifications.
- Candidates must have cleared the Higher Secondary School Examination (10 + 2) or an equivalent examination with a minimum aggregate of 45% marks (40% for the reserved category).
- Students who fall under the category of Foreign Nationals must have achieved at least 65% marks in the (10 + 2) exam.
- Those students who are going to appear for the qualifying exam or awaiting results for the same are also eligible to apply for the AILET Entrance Exam.
There is no upper NLU Delhi age limit mentioned by the authorities to appear for AILET 2024. Candidates beyond any age can apply for AILET if they qualify for the basic educational requirements.
Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MH CET): MH CET Law or Maharashtra Common Entrance Test for Law is a state-level exam conducted by the State CET Cell every year to shortlist the candidates for Law admission in the colleges in Maharashtra. MH CET is compulsory for admission to 3-year or 5-year LLM programmes by participating institutes based in Maharashtra.The candidates who will clear the cutoffs can attend the final selection round CAP.The MH CET law exam is conducted in an online mode, computer-based mode, and is of two hours duration. The question paper contains 150 multiple-choice questions. Through the entrance exam, law aspirants are shortlisted for admissions to 10,920 seats for the 5-year LLB program and around 16,420 seats for the 3-year LLB courses programmes.
There are 5 sections in MH CET Law Entrance Exam, including Legal Aptitude & Legal Reasoning, English, GK, Logical & Analytical Reasoning and Mathematical Aptitude. The total number of questions asked in MH CET Law is 150 and the total exam duration is 2 hours
Candidates who wish to appear in MH CET law must meet the eligibility criteria for the law programmes prescribed by the Directorate of Higher Education, Maharashtra. The MH CET law 2023 eligibility criteria for 3-year LLB and MH CET 5-year LLB is different in terms of educational qualifications.
The eligibility conditions for the 3 year LLB law degree is mentioned below:
- Candidates should hold a 3-year graduation degree in any faculty from any University in Maharashtra recognised by UGC with minimum 45% marks (minimum 40% marks for candidates belonging to SC & ST category/ minimum 42% marks for candidates belonging to VJNT, SBC and OBC, category).
- The candidates should have a 10+2+3 education pattern to appear in MH CET Law 3 year law degree i.e. 10th +12th + 3 year graduation and or 2/3 year post graduation.
- Candidates who have passed 10th (SSC), 12th (HSC), 3-year graduate examination or 2-year post graduate examination or equivalent qualifying examination through regular mode, distance mode, or open mode are eligible for MH CET law examination.
The eligibility conditions for the 5 year LLB law degree is mentioned below:
- Candidates who have passed 10th and 12th standard examinations in regular mode, distance mode, open schooling, or open mode are eligible for LLB 5-year MH CET examination.
- The minimum marks obtained in the qualifying exam should be 45% marks in aggregate (40% marks for candidates belonging to SC & ST category and 42% marks for candidates belonging to VJNT, SBC and OBC category) to be eligible for MH CET 5-year law 2023.
- The education pattern should be (10+2) i.e.10th +12th passed. The gap between 10th standard and 12th standard should not be less than two years.
Age criteria for appearing in the MH CET law exam: The Directorate of Higher Education, Maharashtra has not prescribed any upper age limit for admission to 3-year or 5-year LLB programmes.
Following are some of the Colleges in Maharashtra that are offering 3 year and 5 Year LLB courses:
- Bharatratna Dr.Babasaheb Ambedkar Law College,Bhiwandi B.N.N College Campus Dhamankar Naka ,Bhiwandi
- Adhia College Of Law N.S.Road No.6, J.V.P.D Scheme, Next To Jamnabai School Gate No 4 , Vile Parle
- Adv Bhagwan Keni Charitable Trust Jai Bhagwan College Of Law Opp H.P.Petrol Pump, Near Octroi Naka , Surya Nagar, Vitawa Kalwa Thane.
- Adv. Balasaheb Apte College Of Law Prin. N. M. Kale Marg, Off Gokhale Road (S), Dadar(W), Mumbai 400028
- Agnel School Of Law Father Agnel Technical Education Complex, Sector - 9A, Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- Asmita College Of Law Asmita College Chowk Kannamwar Nagar No 2 Vikhroli East Mumbai
- Balasaheb Thackeray Law College Sector- 08, Taloja Phase I
- Bhagubai Changu Thakur College Of Law New Panvel, Sector 11, Khanda Colony, Panvel, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra 410206
- Dr Bapuji Salunkhe Law College Osmanabad Tambri Vibhag
- Dr. Ambedkar College Of Law Nagsenvan Aurangabad Ms Nagsenvan Aurangabad
- Guruvarya R G Shinde Law College, Osmanabad Vikas Nagar, Midc Road, Tq And Dist Osmanabad
- Late M.L.C. Vasantraoji Kale Law College Aurangabad
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Memorial College Of Law, Dhule, Deopur Dhule
- Godavari Foundations Dr. Ulhas Patil Law College Jalgaon. Plot No P-62 M-Sector Dr Ulhas Patil Nagar Addl, Midc
- Khandesh College Education Societys S.S.Maniyar Law College Jalgaon,Imr Campus Jalgaon
- Khandesh College Education Societys S.S.Maniyar Law College Jalgao, Imr Campus Jalgaon
NMIMS LAT: The NMIMS LAT is a university-level common law entrance exam for admission to BA LLB (Hons.) and BBA LLB (Hons.) programmes offered by 6 law campuses of SVKM's NMIMS. NMIMS University Mumbai admission 2023 to BA LLB is based on candidates' performance in NMIMS-LAT (NMIMS Law Aptitude Test)/ CLAT. Students who pass Class 12 with 50% aggregate are able to apply for this course.The question paper of NMIMS LAT 2023 will have 150 objective type questions, to be asked from topics such as English language, current affairs, general knowledge, maths, legal and logical reasoning. candidates will be given two hours to attempt the NMIMS LAT 2023 question paper.
The eligibility criteria for appearing in NMIMS LAT 2023 conducted by SVKM’s NMIMS is as mentioned below:
- Candidates should have passed Class 12 from a recognized board or institute.
- Candidates appearing in the qualifying exam are also eligible to appear in NMIMS LAT 2023. Such candidates will be required to submit the documents and mark sheet of qualifying examination at the time of admission.
Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Law Aptitude Test (NMIMS LAT) is a law entrance exam conducted by SVKM’s NMIMS Deemed-to-be-University for admissions to the following institutes:
- NMIMS Kirit P Mehta School of Law, Mumbai
- School of Law, NMIMS University, Navi Mumbai
- School of Law, NMIMS University, Bengaluru
- School of Law, NMIMS University, Hyderabad (Jadcherla)
- School of Law, NMIMS University, Chandigarh
- School of Law, NMIMS University, Dhule
Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET): SLAT is conducted by the Symbiosis International University for admission to its undergraduate law programs. The SLAT entrance exam is conducted for admission in BA LLB And BBA LLB program. Moreover, Symbiosis Law School All India Admission Test (SLS AIAT) is conducted by Symbiosis International University for admission to three-year LLB offered by SLS Pune and one-year LLM programmes offered by SLS Hyderabad, SLS Nagpur, SLS Noida, and SLS Pune. The entrance exam is being conducted in a Home-based Online Proctored mode. There are approximately 250 seats in the LLM course, and 60 seats in the LLB course.
ULSAT- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies release the applications form for ULSAT in online mode. This entrance exam is conducted for granting admission to BA LLB, B.Com LLB, Btech LLB, 3-year LLB, LLM courses. Eligible candidates can register online for ULSAT 2023 from the official website of the UPES - admission.upes.ac.in/apply
Christ University Law Entrance Exam (CULEE): Christ University, located in Bangalore, conducts its own entrance exam for admission to its undergraduate law programs. The test assesses candidates on subjects such as English Language, Comprehension Skills, General Knowledge, Reasoning, and Data Analysis. As well as its Kengeri and Bannerghatta road campuses in Bengaluru, Christ has three separate campuses across India in Lavasa, Pune and Delhi.Candidates by appearing in CULEE 2023 can get admission to BA LLB & BBA LLB degree courses.
AMU BA LLB- The university conducts the AMU BA LLB entrance exam in offline mode. The exam is conducted for admission in the BA LLB programme. Candidates who appear in the AMU BA LLB entrance exam and have their roll numbers in merit list have to appear for counselling.